A while back I wrote about how Hector needed a new home. I changed him from sand and all dry to mostly water filled - you can read about it here. Since then, the little water pump died and we had to re-do his enclosure once again. Between then and today, it's looked like this:
Well, it appears that Hector has voiced his complaints to the THA (Turtle Housing Authority) often enough that he became their squeaky wheel. Today, I was threatened with a lawsuit and informed that I MUST create a better, and more importantly LARGER area for him to dwell in. After all, he doesn't get out much so he needed more room to stretch his legs.
I have to say, this is SO much better than what he was in before (a 10-gallon aquarium) and has probably increased the space in which he can crawl around by 500%.
I started by stealing an under-bed storage container from my daughter. Let's face it - the stuff in it needed to be unpacked anyway, she wasn't using it and hey, you don't mess with the THA.
I cut part of the lid out - the container is shallow enough that without the lid serving as a rim around the top, Hector could conceivably climb out, and it's a LONG drop to the floor from the top of the dresser. I left one end with more of the top remaining so that he'll have an area that allows him some privacy and gives him a place to hide, of sorts. Turtles are shy critters
I then placed fresh coconut bedding in the new tub, added his little pond back along with some rocks and put him back on the dresser with the light on.
I hope that this keeps the THA off my back for a while.