Friday, December 3, 2010

The Pies

On Wednesday I truly didn't think I'd ever be feeling remotely human again.... Thank goodness for left over antibiotics!! To celebrate - here are the Pie recipes!!


First is a variation of my mom's lemon meringue pie - a recipe that she got from her grandma.

 
1 baked pie shell

1 C sugar
5 T cornstarch 
1 T flour 
Dash of salt 
1 ½ C cold water
Grated rind and juice of one lemon 
3 beaten egg yolks 
1T butter 

In the top of a double boiler, mix the first 4 ingredients. Add the next 4 in order, mixing thoroughly after each addition. Stir constantly until the mixture becomes translucent and shiny. 

This can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes. In the end, it should be pretty thick, almost "gloppy" in consistency, but should still pour easily.

Remove from heat and continue stirring until no more steam is present.

Place in a baked pie shell.

This can be topped with meringue and baked, or topped with any other option of your choice. Makes 1 small pie. 

I topped it with:
1 8oz package cream cheese
1 c powdered sugar
1 c whipping cream
zest of one lemon
1/4 tsp lemon extract

Whip the whipping cream in an electric mixer on high until stiff. Add in sugar and room temperature cream cheese, whip till completely mixed. Fold in lemon zest and extract. The mixture will be runny, compared to what the whipped cream looked like. Don't worry as this will set up as it cools. 

Pour over the lemon pie and refrigerate for at least a couple of hours before serving. 

Next:  PW's Pumpkin Cream Pie - the recipe can be found here. This was REALLY good. I'm not a fan of traditional pumpkin pie - I usually cover it in so much whipped cream that I can't even see the pumpkin. This totally solved that issue. I think though, when I make it again, I'll use a traditional pie crust instead of the graham cracker crust. I also found that I tripled the spice quantities to get the flavor where I wanted it. DEFINITELY worth trying!!

Finally: Anoter PW recipe - Creamy Dreamy Apple Pie - the recipe can be found here. Oh my.... I just can't rave enough about this one. Think Dutch Apple... but the pecans in the topping just push it over the edge... SO delicious!! Make sure that you place this one on the cookie sheet (lined with foil) as it's VERY messy while it bakes!


And what would the Friday after Thanksgiving be without pie for breakfast??? A crime I tell ya!!


No comments:

Post a Comment