Sunday, January 30, 2011

Easy Corn Fritters

When I was a little girl, and staying with my grandparents, in the very house I'm living in now, grandpa used to  make pancakes and fritters. At the time I didn't like the pancakes - he cooked them in a cast iron skillet in lots of oil. Lots of oil and pancake batter makes for really crispy crunchy edges. However, the fritters..... mmmm... That was a different story entirely!

Tonight, I didn't want a "real" dinner. Neither did LD. We wanted snacks..... but I wasn't quite comfortable just eating snacks. So I made corn fritters. These are super easy, tasty and take only a handful of ingredients! Let me warn you though, this recipe uses a LOT of cooking oil... don't be afraid though!!

You'll need:
cooked corn
pancake batter
vegetable oil

Mix up your pancake batter, to be a little thinner than you'd like for pancakes. Add in a bunch of corn... I mean LOTS of corn.

Heat a nice layer of oil in a pan over lowish heat - you can use cast iron, non stick, or whatever you have around. Ladle in a small amount of batter and spread it out - these cook slower in the center so you want to make sure the batter is thin in the pan.

Allow it to cook until golden around the edges, flip over and cook until the other side is golden as well. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels and drain off the excess oil - eat as soon as they're cool enough to handle.


Look at them... yummy, crunchy, corny... LOL!!

Here you go, from another angle:

The other variation I really like is to add in small diced up chunks of apple... oh yum!! Add in a little bit of cinnamon too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment