Sunday, March 6, 2011

Hello Insomnia... my old friend.

Lack of sleep seems to be a normal thing for me ..... for a long time now. Either I can't fall asleep or once I get to sleep I wake up frequently, often having a hard time getting back to sleep. Or, if I do manage to get to sleep I often wake up VERY early. I have often referred to this as the "butt-crack of dawn." Somewhere in the 4-5am range.... Even if I didn't get to bed till after 10 or 11 pm.

Perhaps I just don't need as many hours of sleep anymore. Though, if that were the case I'd expect to NOT be tired the next day. Clearly that is not the case as I feel like I could take a nap nearly every afternoon. The frustrating part is that whenever the opportunity for a nap presents itself, no matter how tired I was, I simply cannot fall asleep.

Last night was one of these nights. This whole week has pretty much been one of these nights after another. Last night the last time I looked at the clock it was 12:45am. I woke up twice during the night but refused to look at the clock for fear of what it might say. The third time I woke up I could hear birds chirping, even though it was barely light out. I laid there for a while and as more light filled the room I finally gave up and looked at the clock.

5:15am.

Seriously??? Based on that I figure I would be lucky to have gotten about 3 hours of sleep - assuming I was only awake for 15 minutes each time that I woke up during the "night."

Finally, after laying there for another hour & a half I decided to get up and see what the day had in store for me. A shower, both inside and out. I showered and got dressed and then opened the curtains and saw that it was raining outside and there were all these little birds on the lawn. There's a flowering tree between Dale's place and the neighbor's and the flower petals were dropping like snow.

The only consolation to not sleeping in is that when I do get up, usually no one else is awake. It means silence and quiet and peace that you can only experience in the wee hours of the morning before the rest of the world starts stirring.

And all without coffee.....

Here's the "snow" from the tree between the houses:


And the little birds - the Sycamore tree drops those spiky ball things and the birds aren't much bigger than they are!


While only a couple of them are easily seen, there are actually TEN little birds in this shot:

No comments:

Post a Comment