Saturday, February 18, 2012

Easy crock pot Carnitas

Carnitas, literally translated means "little meat" and is one of my favorite Mexican dishes to make at home. I think I have probably posted this before, but it is so easy, and so versatile, and well... so tasty, that I felt it bears repeating.

You will need:
1 large (family pack) pork carnita meat
1 small can dices chilis and tomatoes. I tpically use the Rotel brand
4 garlic cloves

In a large crock pot, combine the meat pieces and canned chilis and tomatoes. Using the ribbon grater, grate your garlic cloves directly into the crock pot. Give it all a good stir to make sure the pieces of meat are well coated. Set the crock pot to low and allow to cook for at least 4 hours.

Once or twice during the cooking you can move the meat around, but it is not required.

Once the meat easily falls apart when moved, it is done and ready to eat. Traditionally you'd serve with tortilas, salsa, guac or avocados, lime, cilantro, jalapenos, hot sauce, sour cream and cheese. However, there is enough broth from this to literally have Carnitas Soup, which is exactly what I did today.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment