Friday, August 20, 2010

It's a COW.... in the YARD!!!

When you live close to cow pastures, there's a good chance you'll end up with one in your yard some day. We live VERY close, as in we currently share a fence with a cow pasture. The odds that we'd end up with a cow in our yard eventually were virtually 100%. I just had no idea that "eventually" would be tonight.

However, before I get into our evening visitor, I first need to tell you the discussion that Dad and I had this morning. In the mornings, the cattle are closer to our back fence.... often grazing right along the edge of it. This morning Dad and I were discussing how truly EASY modern people have life. After all we don't have to hunt and gather... I JOKINGLY said, "well I guess I better go kill a cow," and motioned over to the herd grazing on the other side of the fence. I then said, "boy am I glad I don't NEED to do that!"

The day goes by and evening rolls around..... Dad comes inside and says, "ok, you have GOT to come out here and see this. Remember your cow comment from this morning?" Well my first thought was oh god, there's a dead cow in the yard.

Well, not entirely. One of the heifers, who I'm going to call Gracie, decided that the grass really was greener on the other side of the fence.

She was having a real heyday (no pun intended) with our long grass. Apparently, the temptation of it was just too much for her to take.

Excuse me Gracie, did you just stick your tongue out at me???? Be nice, this is your 15 minutes of fame!!

In the end, because we do not have a fenced yard yet, and we live on a highway, I called the sheriff's department and reported a "loose cow" in our yard. You know, like Girls Gone Wild? Well around here it's Heifers Gone Wild.... they're always running around with their udders out. Gracie, I hope your mother doesn't see this!!

In the end between the deputy and another local rancher, the guy who owns Gracie showed up and sort of "encouraged" her back through the hole in the fence.... encouragement provided while riding a quad. Sorry Gracie, next time I'll let you graze a little longer before calling Bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment