Monday, December 13, 2010

Cheese Lace

Have you ever made a grilled cheese sandwich and had some of the cheese ooze out onto the frying pan... where it turns crispy? I absolutely LOVE that part of grilled cheese!!! I got to thinking.... why not make that as a snack? I mean, you really can't go wrong when it comes to fried cheese can you?

It's VERY simple - start with a non stick pan on VERY low heat. My stove has numbered settings, but the two lowest are SIM and LO.... LO being the VERY lowest setting. I had to play around a little but found that SIM works quite well for this recipe.

All you need is a good flexible spatula and grated cheese of your choice. The drier cheeses MIGHT need a little spray oil, so play around before you put all the cheese in the pan. Once you've figured out what you need, just sprinkle some of the grated cheese into your pan - just enough to make it look like this - the bigger your pan, the more you can fit in it.

let it sizzle and bubble

- not quite ready here

But here... when it's nice and brown? Oh this is almost perfect!! Just let it cook until there's no more pale centers.

Remove to paper towels to drain off any excess oil. If you're making more than one batch, you may want to wipe out the pan between cooking sessions. I used Colby Jack and it created a fair amount of oil that was left behind.

This is a VERY tiny piece... but I loved how delicate it looks

I'm betting if you were really creative you could arranged the grated cheese so these would look like snow flakes.... or anything else!!

Now, I just need to figure out what they go well with... I mean, they're phenomenal all by themselves... but I'm betting there's a dip or something that would go great with them. Depending on the cheese they can be pretty salty, I'm thinking maybe some plain sour cream might be yummy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment